[tulip] Build failing

Jim Parker jdparker225@home.com
Sun Jan 13 02:05:01 2002

I'm trying to get my Linksys LNE100TX (Version 4) working in Red Hat 7.0
(2.2.19-7.0.10 Kernel) but it isn't working. These are the instructions
from the web page (http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html):
----------------Quote from web site
--------------------------------------
Use the following commands to install and test the driver pack:

# Transfer the Scyld PCI Netdriver package
#  Perhaps use ncftpget
ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/netdrivers-3.0-1.src.rpm
rpm -i ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/netdrivers-3.0-1.src.rpm
# Build the binary version for your kernel
cd /usr/src/{redhat,TurboLinux,packages}/
rpm -bb SPECS/netdriver*.spec
# Now install it your newly built package.
rpm -i --force RPMS/i386/netdrivers-3.0-1.i386.rpm

The --force option is needed because the new drivers may conflict with
the existing drivers installed by the kernel package. If this occurs you
will see a warning message for each driver that has been updated.
---------------end of quote from web site
----------------------------------

The problem comes where I do "rpm -bb SPECS/netdrive*.spec". I get a ton
of compiler errors. All seem to be one or the other of these:

1. `PAGE_OFFSET_RAW' undeclared
2. dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

PAGE_OFFSET_RAW is defined in /usr/src/linux/include/asm/page_offset.h
if any one of the following are defined:
CONFIG_1GB, CONFIG_2GB or CONFIG_3GB. It appears that none of these are
defined. I modified page_offset.h to provide a default definition for
PAGE_OFFSET_RAW and this error message went away. However, in all
likelihood I'm not providing a valid value for PAGE_OFFSET_RAW. So what
the heck is CONFIG_*GB? What causes one of them to be defined?

The "dereferencing pointer to incomplete type" errors are in
pci-skeleton.c which is a file that came with the src.rpm. This is the
first module compiled. My guess is that the build quit after these
errors and didn't attempt to build any others.

Any hints as to what is going wrong here and how to fix it?

Thanks
Jim.