[tulip] tulip v0.93 (11/7/01) problems for DS21140 quad card under RH 2.2.19

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu Jan 10 09:39:01 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Gregg Graubins wrote:

> [root@freedom net]# insmod -v pci-scan.o
> Using pci-scan.o
> Symbol version prefix 'smp_'
> pci-scan.o: kernel-module version mismatch
> 	pci-scan.o was compiled for kernel version 2.2.16-22
> 	while this kernel is version 2.2.19.
..
> I did notice the report about the kernel version above, but that shouldn't
> have any affect on trying to load the module, right?

That's the problem -- symbol mismatches are caused by compiling with the
wrong kernel header files.  If you have modversions enabled, you must
use exactly the header files for your specific kernel.