[tulip] DC21143 rev 65 - hopeless case?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:16:49 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, John Sutton wrote:

> I've just returned a failed Kingston KNE100TX to my supplier, hoping that the
> replacement would NOT be a rev 65...  but it is.  So either my supplier is
> holding some very old stock OR Kingston are still shipping these chips?
>
> Am I the only one with this problem?  (See posting below from 21st Dec for
> details).
> Kingston KNE100TX cards.  I've tried upgrading to driver v0.92 but (see
> and reverted to v0.91g.
> tulip-diag.c:v2.04 9/26/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
> Index #1: Found a Digital DS21143 Tulip adapter at 0xf400.
> The Rx process state is 'Suspended -- no Rx buffers'.

Please try the 0.92t driver, which has addition recovery code for the kernel
temporarily running out of memory.

An effective way to prevent this problem is fix the kernel's idea of how
much memory it should keep around for its own use.  Add the following to
/etc/rc.d/rc.local

echo 500 1000 2000 > /proc/sys/vm/freepages