[tulip] Macronix 98715 PMAC rev 37

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 12:37:32 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Matthew wrote:

> Having an interesting problem with a SoHOware Fast NDC 10/100 F/E Adapter
> card. Its chipset is being seen as Macronix 98715 PMAC rev 37 by the Tulip
> driver.
>
> First question: Anyone got decent information on this card? Do not hold
> back....

It's difficult to get info.  LiteOn apparently sold their PNIC-II design
to Macronix sometime after the 98725 was released.  It's curious that
Macronix would buy an external design if there were happy with the
design they already owned. Anyway, the 987** series seems to have
disappeared from the marketplace.

> Second (main question): I am using the newest driver for this card
> from the  src rpm,

Please don't say "newest driver".  Use the version number.
(The "newest driver" is usually the half-broken test copy on my machine.)

> but everytime I have setup the options=3 or 16 I
> get a segfault when bringing up eth0.

This I can check out.
Why are using passing options?
Does your card actually have a MII 100baseFX-HDX transceiver (media type 16)?

What is the detection message for the card?  (I need to know the
approximate media table to figure out what is going wrong.)