[tulip] autonegotation problems with 21143

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Tue Dec 18 13:40:01 2001

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, alvin wrote:

> I am running a UP1100 with an integrated 21142/3 NIC.
>
> I seem to be having some problems with autonegoation. The kernel is a
> more or less stock RH 2.2.19-6.2.1

What driver version?

> eth0: Using media type 100baseTx-FD, CSR12 is ce.
> eth0:  Setting CSR6 83860200/b3862202 CSR12 45e1d0ce.
> eth0: Transmit error, Tx status 7fffbc85.

This indicates a carrier error.  The transceiver is not properly configured.

I'm pretty certain that you are not using the v0.93 driver...

> If I let the driver autonegotate I get a large number of transmit
> errors. If I set the options=5 and try to force 100MB-FDX then I get the
> following recieve errors

Forcing 100baseTX-FDX turns off autonegotiation, thus your link partner
is defaulting to half duplex.  You are seeing corrupted Rx packets as
the link partner stops transmitting due to the collision.