[tulip] Re: SIOCGMIIPHY

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon Dec 17 12:46:01 2001

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Marinho Barcellos wrote:

> anyone has any idea why a configuration operation (ioctl())
> SIOCGMIIPHY on a socket might fail, considering it's a
> Conexant board and as such has a MII transceiver?
> (Info: kernel 2.4.8, driver tulip.c:v0.93 11/7/2001)

Yes.  Someone changed the numerical value associated with 'SIOCGMIIPHY'.
This was a serious, silent change to the API.  If you want a new value,
change the name.

> Error message:
> [root@tyne diag]# mii-diag  -vw eth0
> mii-diag.c:v2.00 4/19/2000  Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
> http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
> SIOCGMIIPHY on eth0 failed: Operation not supported

mii-diag v2.03 now tries both possible values for 'SIOCGMIIPHY', and
I'm slowly converting the drivers to use both of the numeric values e.g.

	case 0x8947: case 0x89F0:	/* SIOCGMIIPHY */

This is a very frustrating interface change.  I don't know if I should
ascribe it to incompetence or malice.