[tulip] !HELP mii-diag set force:permision denied

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:26:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 ling_yue@china.com wrote:

> i am on redhat6.2 kernel 2.2.19(upgraded),i use accton En1207fvf(with
> tx & fx)(eeprom[4] differ) network card,i changed the tulip.c(v0.91) a
> little to suit my card :)

That's a rather old driver.  This is unrelated to your problem, but you
should get an updated version.

> Now i want to force the media to 100basetx-hd.
> I compile and use mii-diag(v2.00).it display the correct mii reg.
> when i type(as root):(after insmod .. netconfig..ping..)
> "./mii-diag -F 100baseTx-HD -D eth0"
> I found :
> SIOCSMIIREG on eth0 failed: PERMISSION DENID
> WHo can tell me how to solve it?

You can read the status as a regular user, but you must be 'root' to
write new settings.

To be more precise, the 'mii-diag' program must have have the capability
"CAP_NET_ADMIN".  But most Linux systems do not implement fine-grained
capability-based access control.

> since i am an engineer,i changed the driver(tulip) in 2.2 and 2.4
> I want to know whether Donald Becker can adapt it?

The new 1207 table entry is already in the driver.