[tulip] Unable to get eth0 up using SMC1211TX NIC

Keith Owens kaos@ocs.com.au
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 16:45:52 +1100

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 00:15:43 -0500,
Bob Heck <heckr@ameritech.net> wrote:
>The '/etc/conf.modules' file cats out as:
>
>alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
>alias scsi_hostadapter1 ncr53c8xx
>alias eth0 tulip.o  debug=val
>alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
>pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start

>When I tried the 'modprobe eth0' command, I received the following
>error:
>
>can't locate module eth0

You did not include the kernel version so I going to guess that it is
2.2 based.  Nor did you include your .config so we also have to guess
about how whether you configured your kernel correctly or not.

Does modprobe -l '*tulip*' list any modules?  If so, check that
"alias eth0" points to the correct module name - without the trailing
'.o'.  If there are no tulip modules then your kernel .config is
incorrect or you did not run make modules_install.