[tulip] FA310TX lock ups

Alan Third alan@idiocy.org
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:09:18 +0100

I have 2 computers linked together with a crossover cable.
Both of these computer have FA310TXs, I think they're revision
32. One of them (oscar) has 2 as I'm getting a cablemodem soon.
My problem is that one computer (oscar) is on all the time (it's
a gateway to the internet) and the other (grover) gets turn on and
off depending on when it's being used.
When grover is powered down or rebooted, the NIC in oscar "locks up".
When I DLed and ran the tulip-diag program it reports:

oscar:/home/alan # ./tulip-diag
tulip-diag.c:v2.03 7/31/2000 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
 http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Lite-On 82c168 PNIC adapter at 0xf200.
 Port selection is 10mpbs-serial, half-duplex.
 Transmit stopped, Receive stopped, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Stopped'.
  The Tx process state is 'Stopped'.
  The transmit threshold is 160.
Index #2: Found a Lite-On 82c168 PNIC adapter at 0xf000.
 Port selection is MII, full-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, full-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 96.

(grover is connected to the first NIC) and I have to use
ifconfig to restart the network. I had an RTL8139 in place
of the FA310TX in oscar before and everything worked fine,
I could reboot/power down and much as I wanted.

Is there any easy way round this problem?

Thanks
--
Alan Third