[tulip] Re: Kingston

Christopher E. Brown cbrown@denalics.net
Tue, 23 May 2000 08:35:28 -0900 (HADT)

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Homer Wilson Smith wrote:

> > 	Am very confused here, I have been using the KNE100TX units, 1
> > - 4 per box for some time.  When the 21143 units started arriving it
> > was fun, but as soon as I switched from 89h everything was happy
> > again.  I checked, the 15 21143 KNE100TX cards are talking to Catalyst
> > 2900 series units.  All drop straight into 100FD, and more than a few
> > hold 80Mbit+ each way during office hrs (Linux based filtering
> > firewalls, and MASQ boxes).
>
>     2900 series is 100baseT , we are using 1900 which has
> 10baseT ports.  The 21143's work fine in 100baseT mode.
>
>     Homer

	Hmm, just loaded the last release NMP/DMP for my Catalyst 1201
and brought into the office.  At home it was talking to 21140 KNE100TX
units at 10FD, same at the office with the 21143 cards, drops right to
10FD unless overridden.

	I am not doubting there are issues on the Cisco end here, just
trying to narrow down the product lines and whatnot.  Given their
habit of buying a /neat/ company, and after re-badging dropping their
new product in the middle of the product line there can be some major
differences between what are supposed to be similar devices.

---
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
        --About the Internet and nuclear war.