More DFE-570TX Tx Hung Problems

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed May 10 18:53:19 2000

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Tim Dixon wrote:

> [Just to summarise; we've been getting "Tx Hung" errors where we have
> several DFE-570TXs in one box so that some of the ports end up
> sharing IRQs. Simply ifconfig'ing the stuck port up and down makes
> no difference. Other ports on the same card continue to work. ]
> We've just had this problem occurring again a couple of times in quick
> succession. As Donald predicted, /proc/interrupts revealed that no
> interrupts were being taken on the IRQ shared by the ports concerned.
> Although ifconfiging down the stuck port didn't make any difference,
> taking down ALL the ports sharing the IRQ and bringing them back up
> again seemed to do the trick. We've had the same problem on a couple
> of different IRQ lines in the same machine (in each case, 3 ports shared
> an IRQ).

This is a critical detail: one possible cause is that the interrupt is being
disabled, and never re-enabled.  My code never does this, but some of the
modifications of my drivers use this as a flow control and exclusion
mechanism.

> Looks like one of the devices is disabling the interrupt line and failing to
> re-enable it, taking out all of the others. Is the remedy for this likely to
> be
> in the driver, or might it be a strange kernel or hardware problem?

Which driver were you using again?

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Scyld Computing Corporation
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210