[tulip] Tulip driver "no link test" mode?

Manfred Bartz mbartz@xix.com
26 Jun 2000 11:32:01 +1000

Joshua Horvath <jmhorvat@home.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to get my cable modem working under Linux but I need to
> disable link beat checking to get it working.  The NIC I was
> provided with is the SMC 8432T with the 21041 chip.  When I try to
> bring the interface up, I get a message saying no link beat,
> switching media to 10Base2... Under windows, the driver has to be
> set to something like "10BaseT-no_link_test" to work correctly.  Is
> it possible to do this with the tulip driver?  I tried mucking
> around with the code (v0.92) without much success.  I have a feeling
> the changes I made broke other functions in the driver.
>
> On a side note, my cable modem (Motorola CyberSURFR Wave) has a PC
> light which I assume lights when the NIC is initialized and starts
> talking to the cable modem (link beats?).  With the tulip driver
> included in RH6.2, once I insmod the driver the light comes on.
> With v0.92, I insmod the driver and the light stays off... even
> though it looks like the driver loads ok (there are lines in
> /var/log/messages that seem to indicate everything is ok).  Any clue
> why this would occur?

Joshua,

I have the same problems with that NIC.  I assume your NIC has the
21041-TP chip?  An older SMC card with a 21041-AA works fine for me.

Also, the 21041-TP based NIC works fine on my LAN, just not on the
cable modem.  Maybe this has more to do with the cable modem?

Cheers
--
Manfred