[tulip] Netgear FA310TX/ Intel 510T Switch problems

John Strange johns@mail.yourfit.com
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:42:27 -0400

Hey Everyone,

I seem to be having a slight problem with this setup:

Intel 510T Switch, rev 2.63
Netgear FA310TX, rev D2
3com 3c900B
Abit BF-6, latest BIOS
PIII 650 Coppermine
Linux 2.2.x 2.3.x

There seems to be different problems depending on the card, if I use the
Netgear throughput is great but it just seems to lose it's connection and
you can't connect to it for several minutes then a few minutes later it'll
be back online.  Nothing in /var/log/messages either, this is using both the
standard tulip.c driver and the one from Netgear, also 2.3.x performs the
same problem.

Now when I use the 3c900B card the machine will stay online for 3 days so
far, but I can't get less than 150ms response from the machine with 64k
packets.

I've switched cables, switches, and now have tested both the 3c905C and
Intel EtherExpress Pro and both of those cards work fine.  I'm assuming now
that it's either a driver problem or something is really hosed with the 510T
switch.  Has anyone had similar problems with the switch or cards?

Thanks,

John Strange
Systems Administrator
johns@yourfit.com