[tulip] tulip-diag eeprom writing - some questions

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 02:10:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000 jlhagen@collins.rockwell.com wrote:

> I have several Znyx 346 (4 port)  (21140) ethernet cards. One of these
> cards seems to have meet an unfortunate accident and the eeprom contents
> are reported as missing. I have other cards that report ok etc. Below is a

I don't think the EEPROM is the problem.

> Index #24: Found a Digital DS21140 Tulip adapter at 0x9480.
>  Port selection is 10mpbs-serial, half-duplex.
>  Transmit stopped, Receive stopped, half-duplex.
>   The Rx process state is 'Stopped'.
>   The Tx process state is 'Stopped'.
>   The transmit threshold is 72.
> Index #25: Found a Digital DS21140 Tulip adapter at 0x5800.
>  Port selection is 100mbps-SYM/PCS 100baseTx scrambler, full-duplex.
>  Transmit started, Receive started, full-duplex.
>   The Rx process state is 'Transferring Rx frame into memory'.
>   The Tx process state is 'Closing Tx descriptor'.
>   PCI bus error!: Unknown 7.

Hmmm, these are not likely correct.

>   The transmit unit is set to store-and-forward.
>  Interrupt sources are pending!  CSR5 is ffffffff.

That's definitely bogus.  The chip doesn't exist in I/O space.
Run pci-config, or something similar, to see if the chip is in ACPI power
down mode.  But this isn't likely -- some program would have to put the chip
to sleep.

> WARNING: The EEPROM is missing or erased!
>  This interface is missing the EEPROM.
>   This is likely the non-primary interface on a multiport board.
> EEPROM contents:
>   ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff ffff

This is just the result of the 21143 chip not existing in I/O space.

410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf Clusters / Linux Installations
Annapolis MD 21403