FA310TX TX lockup

Fuzzy Fox fox@foxtaur.com
Mon Jan 24 14:19:55 2000

Geoffrey Wossum <gpw0341@omega.uta.edu> wrote:

> I have two computers with Netgear FA310TX cards.  One computer works
> fine, the other computer's NIC will stop responding after a while.

As much as I hate "me too" posts...  I am chasing the same problem.

> Bringing the interface down and then back up will fix it for a little
> bit, but then it will do it again.  When this happens, tulip-diag says
> "Waiting for TX to finish".

I see this problem with three different cards, all in the same box.  The
cards are Netgear FA310TX (NGMC169), SVEC PN102TX (MX98713), and LinkSys
LNE100TX (82C169 PNIC, which tulip identifies as 82C168).

> I swapped the cards between the computers, and get the same results,
> so it must be a driver/configuration problem, not hardware.

Since the symptoms are quite identical, I'm not sure what to make of it.
It's like the system itself is cursed, but I don't know what to pull out
or swap or try differently.  Alas, I have no non-tulip-clone cards to
try in place of this.  :(

> computer has had all the kernels from 2.2.9 to 2.2.14 on it, and all had
> the problem.  It is currently using tulip.c:v0.91g-ppc from kernel 2.2.14

Also using 0.91g, about to try the latest test driver, with muted
expectations.

--
   fox@foxtaur.com (Fuzzy Fox)     || "Good judgment comes from experience.
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  Experience comes from bad judgment."