Tulips works but my brain does'nt

Chris chris@hinterlands.com.au
Wed Jan 5 23:42:59 2000

G'day to everyone

We have recently upgraded our office network of
Linux and Win 9x/NT boxes to 100baseTX. The new
ethernet cards are CNet PRO 120's they have a
Macronix MX98715 / MX98725 (rev 32) chipset.

Our Linux boxes currently run Mandrake Linux 6.1 with
a 2.2.13 kernel. The shipped tulip module had problems
when ifconfig was run, but tulip v.0.91 works fine without
modification. I am using the options=11 in conf.modules.

Everything is going OK but now and then our server
disappears without complaining or logging anything.
If I disconnect it from the hub and plug it back in
everything is back to normal. I don't think its being
partitioned ??

I am a little unsure of the duplex that it should be set  to.

tulip-diag.c:v1.19 10/2/99 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Index #1: Found a Macronix 98715 PMAC adapter at 0xe800.
 Port selection is 10mpbs-serial 100baseTx scrambler, full-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, full-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Waiting for packets'.
  The Tx process state is 'Idle'.
  The transmit threshold is 128.

Since I'm a linux user, I have a tendancy to blame the windows machines
on our network for this sort of thing. Its a good place to start most of
the
time !

Any ideas or comments would be very helpful.

Thanks
Chris