Tulip driver and 2.3.X ?

Kevin M. Myer kevin_myer@elanco.k12.pa.us
Tue Jan 4 12:51:28 2000

Bob,

Thanks for pointing me in that direction.  I haven't been following driver
development too closely and have always been looking in
/pub/linux/drivers/test for new drivers.  I had to symlink pci-scan.h to
pci-netif.h to get it to compile and everything is good up until it tries
to link everything at the very end, at which point there's some problems
with some of the pci code (symbol size changed) and some undefined
references in the tulip code.  I'm compiling this directly into the
kernel, not as a module.  Specifically:

drivers/pci/pci.a(pci_core.o): In function `pci_find_capability':
pci_core.o(.text+0xe4): multiple definition of `pci_find_capability'
drivers/net/net.o(.text+0x8064): first defined here
ld: Warning: size of symbol `pci_find_capability' changed from 124 to 159
in pci_core.o
drivers/net/net.o: In function `tulip_interrupt':
drivers/net/net.o(.text+0x66e4): undefined reference to `dev_free_skb'
drivers/net/net.o(.text+0x677c): undefined reference to `netif_wake_queue'
drivers/net/net.o: In function `empty_rings':
drivers/net/net.o(.text+0x6f65): undefined reference to `dev_free_skb'
drivers/net/net.o(.text+0x6f90): undefined reference to `dev_free_skb'
make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

This is with 2.3.35 and gcc 2.95.2 and I've modified the Makefile, adding
the pci-netif.o object beside the auto_irq.o.

Also, the change in the way the pci bus is scanned seems to me to be a
subtle but significant change in the card detection code.  I was wondering
when all of Donald's new code, both in card detection and in new drivers,
will make it into the official kernel release.  I know, for example, that
I need at least the 0.91 revision of the Tulip driver for my card to work
and it would be nice, someday, to have that included with the official
kernel release, so little esoteric things, like upgrading a Linux
distribution using the network behaves like it should (i.e its hard to
install RedHat 6.1, which comes with the stock 0.89H driver over the
network).  Red Hat argued that the 0.91 and newer revs broke compatiblity
with older cards, which is why they didn't include it but I'm wondering
what kind of road map there is for official inclusion of some of these
updated drivers in the kernel source.

Thanks,

Kevin

--