[tulip] LNE100TX... not solved

Erik Steffl steffl@bigfoot.com
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 02:19:23 -0800

Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Erik Steffl wrote:
> >   [my problem: tx fails, lot of carrier errors when heavy traffic,
> > LNE100TX version 4.1]
>
> Can you try in another motherboard?

  OK, so this is my third (?) response but I have found some new
motherboard related info (well, the info isn't new but I haven't read it
before) on linksys support page:

7.Mind your cabling. The EtherFast card must be connected with category
5 RJ-45 cabling to a 100Base-TX hub, a standard 10BaseT hub, or an
autosensing 10/100 hub. It should never be directly connected to another
computer. Your RJ-45 cabling can be either straight-through or
cross-over, but cross-over cabling is neither supported nor recommended
by Linksys. Linksys recommends that pins 1, 2, 3, and 6 at the PC line
up pin-for-pin at the hub. If you need more information about cabling,
see our cabling guide here.

  how serious is this? I am kinda reluctant  to shell out >$100 for a
switch only to find out that it does not work anyway (as already
reported on tulip list in this thread). Is this general advice or
something specific to LNE100TX?

9.Computers with Cyrix 686 CPUs. The bus speed on these computers may
have to be lowered from 75Mhz to 66Mhz (or lower).

  can anybody shed more light on this? The docs for my motherboard say
that default is 66.6MHz. Should I set it to lower value? (possible
vlaues are: 50, 55, 60, 66.6 and 705 MHz) Do I need to set anything
else? For example internal clock value which is 2.0X (other possible
values are 2.5X and 3.0X (would that be overclocking? that's probably
something I don't want to try now))

  Too bad they do not say what kind of problem this might cause.

  could any of the above be a reason for strange behaviour of the card
even though the card works in win95? the diag.exe did not complain
either.

  !!! one problem explained:

  I have previously reported that when inserted in one particular PCI
slot it would conflict with soundcard (ISA PnP) - that problem is
explained: I have just found in motherboard docs that PCI 1 and ISA 3
share external access position (I didn't pay attention since I didn't
know what this means, I am not sure even now but I guess that it means I
cannot use both of them at the same time).

	erik