[tulip] LNE100TX... not solved

Mark Salisbury mbs@pc-eng24.mc.com
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:38:05 -0500

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Hank Barta wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Donald Becker wrote:
>

> > The ADMtek Centaur 985 chip does work, and frequently tested.
>
>     I can sympathize with the frustration of someone trying to get
>     one of these working, having been through the same issue myself.
>     My clue was that the same card in another system seemed to work
>     fine. (I probably haven't thrashed it enough to really say it
>     works flawlessly.) I then want back to the troublesome system
>     and tried moving the card to another PCI slot and that did the
>     trick. Note that I it still required the 'test' version of the
>     tulip driver.

when I wrote this group asking for help w/ about this card, I was experiencing
similar problems (thanks for the help, but I found another solution).

I had to download the driver on another box and sneakernet it over because they
didn't come on the floppy w/ the card.

in pci slot 1 ( relative to CPU location ) cat /proc/pci would show multiple
entries for the card.  so many that there was a file overflow error.

in pci slot 2, the card didn't even show up at all

in slot three there was only one entry, but by that time I was pissed that it
was such a pain.

the drivers wouldn't compile right and the modules wouldn't install whenI did
finally get them to compile.

I returned the card and got a netgear fa311,  compiled the drivers (that came
with the card) and had it all working in 20 minutes.

problem solved.

OTOH, I really like the linksys cable-modem firewall/router/4-port 10/100
switch.  plug it in and it works.

**   Mark Salisbury | Mercury Computer Systems    **
**   mbs@mc.com     | System OS - Kernel Team     **
**  "WYGIWYD - What You Get Is What You Deserve"  **