[tulip] LNE100TX... not solved

Hank Barta hbarta@enteract.com
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:27:56 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Donald Becker wrote:

> The ADMtek Centaur 985 chip does work, and frequently tested.

    I can sympathize with the frustration of someone trying to get
    one of these working, having been through the same issue myself.
    My clue was that the same card in another system seemed to work
    fine. (I probably haven't thrashed it enough to really say it
    works flawlessly.) I then want back to the troublesome system
    and tried moving the card to another PCI slot and that did the
    trick. Note that I it still required the 'test' version of the
    tulip driver.

    This both surprised and irritated me because I thought (hoped?)
    that once we moved away from the AT bus, we should start moving
    away from problems due to hardware flukes. I *really* hate the
    thought having to swap cards around to try to get things working.
    Its awkward enough to have to fiddle with drivers and driver
    settings. (PTL for loadable modules! Otherwise each trial would
    require a reboot.)

    I would appreciate any pointers or guidelines from those who
    know more than me on how PCI conflicts can be avoided or
    resolved.

    FWIW, my motherboard is an ABIT KT-7. Several of the PCI slots
    are 'shared' with onboard peripherals such as the VIA chip set
    (USB, IDE, Video.) From reading the ABIT news group, I get the
    impression that this is a troublesome board, although I usually
    ascribed the problems to overclocking, low quality RAM and
    perhaps poorly written Windows drivers.

    I thought that problems like this were not 'supposed' to happen.
    Are there any good resources on identifying and resolving them
    beyond shooting in the dark with trial and error?

    regards,
    hank

--
Hank Barta                            White Oak Software Inc.
hbarta@enteract.com                   Predictable Systems by Design.(tm)