[tulip] McQullian hacked 0.91g-ppc tulip.c driver for AN985 chipset -- WAS: Linksys LNE100TX Version 4.1

Bryan -TheBS- Smith thebs@theseus.com
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 17:32:32 -0400

Re: Linksys LNE100TX Version 4.1 hits the shelves ... any comments? <- Hacked 0.91g-ppc driver

On Fri, 04 Aug 2000, Donald Becker wrote:
> The 4.0 board use a ADMtek Centaur.  The new NC200 boards use a ADMtek Comet.
> The Centaur/Comet support has been in the tulip driver since autumn '99.

Is that your v0.92 driver in your Netdriver 2.0 package (with
scan-pci, etc...)?  I tried the v0.92 on that older system to no
avail, although I was going to try the v0.92h test version next
(but it could be me as I did everything via RPM commands).

> What was the exact PCI vendor and device ID?

Here's the /proc/pci entry (from a Apollo "694X" Pro/133A chipset):

    Bus  0, device  16, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 17).
      Vendor id=1317. Device id=985.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=255.Max Lat=255.
      I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc01].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xd9000000 [0xd9000000].

I take it Vendor id 1317 is ADMtek, and the 985 is the Centaur.

> I wouldn't expect the older 91g driver to work with even the 4.0 cards.

Yeah, I've pretty much tried to always get 2.0, but they're scarce
now.  The 0.91g[-ppc] drivers report "busy/unavailable" or some
other message when I modprobe/insmod on Version 4.1 NIC-equiped
systems.

> The 440FX isn't even PCI 2.0, but it was a good chipset and
> should work with most current PCI devices.

Ack, I've always had issues.  Not so much because of the chipset,
but the combination of PCI cards.

Although I definately want to get to playing with your Netdriver
2.0 setup, for now, I am using Jim McQuillan's
(mailto:jam@McQuil.com) hacked 0.91g-ppc driver.  He merged some
blocks from the existing AN981 section code with some others and it
works fine for me.  I guess it was just an identification issue?

Don't know if Jim posted his hacked 0.91g-ppc driver to the list
before, but I will post it (~30KB gzip'ed) to the list for the
archives if he hasn't.

Thanx everyone for your help!

-- TheBS

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith                            CONTACT INFO
 Chat: thebs413 @ AOL/MSN/Yahoo (see http://Everybuddy.com)