linux and new linksys cards

Mark Whitis whitis@dbd.com
Fri Apr 28 07:13:24 2000

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Omar wrote:

> At 06:35 PM 4/27/00 -0400, Mark Whitis wrote:
> >On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, omar wrote:
> >

> >Are you being confused by the fact that linksys started labeling the
> >nic controller chips "Linksys LNE100TX"?  It is still a tulip clone.
> >Or, have they come out with yet a fourth version?
>
> What confuses me, is that you can't use the same windows driver for the
> different versions.  they now have version 4.0 on their web site which
> needs a different driver disk than version 2.0 (version 3.0 was skipped)

Yep, I remember that weirdness.   I could see how someone would get
the impression that the card wouldn't work under linux with
the existing version as a result.

> >the stock driver (tulip.c:v0.91g-ppc 7/16/99) in
> >redhat6.2beta
>
> i have redhat 6.1, you mean in 6.2 they finally included the v0.91g
> driver?????????? i don't believe it!! finally!!
>           Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe4000000 [0xe4000000].

Yep, apparently so.   Did that version make it into the kernel tree?
I don't think redhat normally includes newer drivers until they are
part of the stock kernel.  Kernel version: 2.2.15-2.5.0

> >Amusingly, what I couldn't get that version the LNE100TX to work with was
> >MS-Windows.  It was plug and go under linux.
>
> I bet you have the wrong version of drivers since there are now 4 different
> windows drivers for the linux card lying around.  by the way, i had a hell
> of a time trying to get two linksys cards to work in windows98 on the same
> system...it just wouldn't work, and i think the reason is that they were
> different revisions, so windows kept using the same driver for both and one
> of them always failed.

I was careful to get the right version.  I don't remember but I think
there was an aborted install somewhere along the way and I don't
think windows 98 recoginized their driver disk at all.