0.91g and Kingston KNE100TX problems

cjohnson@cobaltnet.com cjohnson@cobaltnet.com
Wed Jul 28 18:10:15 1999

	> [myer@marble myer]$ /sbin/ifconfig
	> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:C0:F0:3B:C0:5B
	> inet addr:172.20.20.22  Bcast:172.20.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0
	> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
	> TX packets:714 errors:50291 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:50291
	> collisions:0

    I just went through the exercise of fixing this here.  On the
    PHY we have, Level One LXT970, the carrier signal is bogus
    when you are operating in full duplex mode.  It indicates you
    are receiving and transmitting at once - i.e. FDX operation.
    It is not actually an error indication.

    The catch was that we got a carrier increment for nearly very
    TX, and snooping showed that we were not getting an input
    packet.  I didn't have a physical layer sniffer, but I
    reasoned that this meant we were getting a PHY level message.
    In particular, a constant stream of auto-negotiation messages,
    with a constant stream of auto-negotiation replies.

    I optimistically upgraded to the latest and greatest tulip
    driver, fixed our SROM to re-initialize the PHY correctly, and
    the problem disappeared.

    Our new driver is version "tulip.c:v0.91 4/14/99" according to
    the version string.  I'm not sure what '0.91g' means.

    Good luck - pray your SROM is okay.
    cj*