[LRP] Dec Tulip based NICs

Kevin Traas ktraas@netmaster.ca
Sat Jul 24 15:42:34 1999

Well, you're quoting a message I posted from many, many months ago....   My
attitude toward the Kingston / 21143 / tulip driver combination has totally
reversed.

When I originally posted the message below, Kingston was using the 21140
chipset on their cards and I didn't have any appreciable problems in almost
two years.  However, then Kingston suddenly changed from the 21140 to the
21143 on their cards (because Intel bought the chipset from DEC and
deep-sixed the 21140... but that's another story) and Linux (tulip) support
for these cards has been crap ever since.

I've had nothing but problems with these cards and postings to the
linux-tulip lists about them yielded *very* few results.  Lurking on the
list reveals that others are having problems with these cards as well.

My solution?  Switched to Linksys 10/100 Etherfast (PNIC chipset using same
Linux driver) and/or 3COM 3c905b cards in various situations....

I've got a box full of Kingston cards based on 21143's sitting on the shelf
collecting dust now....  Waiting for a tulip driver that works with them or
something....

Later,
Kevin