Kingston KNE100TX

Albert Max Lai amlai@columbia.edu
Sun Jul 18 22:02:00 1999

I am trying to get a Kingston Technology KNE100TX working under linux
at 10BaseT and half duplex. I have downloaded the most recent drivers
(0.91g) and have tried both 0.89H and 0.91 as well. As was suggested
on the mailing list, I have tried the de4x5 driver as well, but all
that results in is a kernel oops.

I do an insmod ./tulip.o options=12 and I see the following in my
logs:

Jul 18 05:04:24 amlai2 kernel: tulip.c:v0.91 4/14/99 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Jul 18 05:04:24 amlai2 kernel: eth1: Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 65 at 0xd800, EEPROM not present, 00:4C:69:6E:75:79, IRQ 17.
Jul 18 05:04:24 amlai2 kernel: eth1:  Missing EEPROM, this interface may not work correctly!

After bringing up the interface, I see messages like this:

Jul 18 05:04:36 amlai2 kernel: eth1: Tx hung, 9 vs. 8.
Jul 18 05:04:36 amlai2 kernel: eth1: 21140 transmit timed out, status ffffffff, SIA ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff, resetting...

/proc/pci reads as:
  Bus  2, device   5, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: DEC DC21142 (rev 65).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 17.  Master Capable.  Late
ncy=64.  Min Gnt=20.Max Lat=40.
      I/O at 0xd800 [0xd801].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfd6fbc00 [0xfd6fbc00].

tulip diag has the following output:
[root@amlai2 amlai]# ./tulip-diag
tulip-diag.c:v1.10 4/12/99 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Index #1: Found a Digital DS21143 Tulip adapter at 0xd800.
 Port selection is 10mpbs-serial, half-duplex.
 Transmit stopped, Receive stopped, half-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Stopped'.
  The Tx process state is 'Reading a Tx descriptor'.
  PCI bus error!: Master Abort.
  The transmit unit is set to store-and-forward.
 Use '-a' to show device registers,
     '-e' to show EEPROM contents,
  or '-m' to show MII management registers.

What is a bit curious here is that it reports 10mpbs-serial,
half-duplex as it should, but

with tulip-diag -a -e -m:
[root@amlai2 amlai]# ./tulip-diag -a -e -m
tulip-diag.c:v1.10 4/12/99 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
Index #1: Found a Digital DS21143 Tulip adapter at 0xd800.
Digital DS21143 Tulip chip registers at 0xd800:
  f8a08000 ffffff7f ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
  ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff ffffffff
 Port selection is 100mbps-SYM/PCS 100baseTx scrambler, full-duplex.
 Transmit started, Receive started, full-duplex.
  The Rx process state is 'Transferring Rx frame into memory'.
  The Tx process state is 'Closing Tx descriptor'.
  PCI bus error!: Unknown 7.
  The transmit unit is set to store-and-forward.
 Interrupt sources are pending!  CSR5 is ffffffff.
   Tx done indication.
   Tx complete indication.
   Tx out of buffers indication.
   Transmit Jabber indication.
   Link passed indication.
   Tx FIFO Underflow indication.
   Rx Done indication.
   Receiver out of buffers indication.
   Receiver stopped indication.
   Receiver jabber indication.
   Link changed indication.
   Timer expired indication.
   Link failed indication.
   PCI bus error indication.
   Early Rx indication.
 This interface is missing the EEPROM.
  This is likely the non-primary interface on a multiport board.
   No MII transceivers found!
  Internal autonegotiation state is 'Invalid state'.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated... I just bought 6 of
these cards :(. I'm also willing to do any sorts of tests,
experiments, compiling, etc. to get this working. Thanks in advance.

--
Albert Lai <amlai@columbia.edu>
http://www.columbia.edu/~aml61