Does Tulip driver works with SYM PHY (QS6611)?

B. James Phillippe bryan@terran.org
Sat Sep 12 00:38:41 1998

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Mike Sin wrote:

> I have a no brand 21143 / QS6611 NIC. I am using Slackware 2.0.35 and
> tulip v.89h driver.

I have some experience with this combination of controller.  The company I
work for makes a (Linux-based) product with three of them onboard.
Specifically, custom controllers based on the 21143-TB and TD with QSI6611
MII-less PHY.

> I just getting complain from tulip that it is "No MII transceiver
> found"during boot up.
>
> The EEPROM content indicates that it has 10baseT Serial PHY and
> 100baseTx SYM PHY.

This is correct; if your controller is just like mine, your SROM is
programmed with 4 infoblocks; two each for 10Mb SIA media and 100base-TX
SYM media.  The QS6611 does not support MII.

> 3. If I have to drive QS6611 with SYM i/f for 10baseT, does Tulip.c
> support it? How can I activate it?
> 4. If not, can anybody suggest which part(s) in tulip.c that I should
> modify it myself?

Donald Becker's latest tulip.c driver from
ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/test should drive your
controller at 10 and 100Mb/s.  However, we had two specific problems with
the tulip.c driver: first, the 10Mb/s link LED and the activity LED did not
operate properly (the CSR15 general purpose control and data information
from the SROM infoblocks was not being used), and the media detection did
not work properly.  I'd like to know how it works for you.

cheers,
-bp
--
B. James Phillippe <bryan@terran.org>