MX98713 medium selection woes

Thomas Sailer sailer@ife.ee.ethz.ch
Mon Nov 30 12:36:11 1998

Replying to myself...

I've got the two Macronix cards now working with a
cross patch cable. It turned out that my problems were
due to a defective cable, it was only barely visible,
not detectable by an ohm meter, and made the cable
working at 10MBps but not at 100MBps :-(

However, one problem seems to remain:
One card is in a diskless 486 and connected to the
other card in the server.

Now, in the middle of executing the init scripts,
NFS server not responding, still trying
NFS server ok
messages start to appear and booting becomes very slow.

I'd suspect the init scripts, but when I exchanged
the MX card in the server with a 21140 (Level one phy),
everything worked fine (no software changes!)

Does anyone have a clue what might have gone wrong?

Tom