Fixed IRQ problem with Netgear FA310TX

Erik H. Beck ebeck@tahoma.com
Sat Nov 21 00:32:00 1998

A few days ago, I wrote to this list with a question about problems
with SIOCSIFFLAGS errors. Thanks to good advice from list members, I
discovered the problem was with the concept of sharing IRQ 10 on the
PCI bus.  While NT (boo) was able to cope with three PCI devices
sharing IRQ 10 (SCSI card, ethernet card, video card), Linux wasn't
happy with the arrangement.

Unfortunately, the bios on the machine I am using (Dell Dimension XPS
P75, build February 1994) insists on putting all PCI devices on IRQ
10.  So I decided the easiest way to fix the problem was to replace
the PCI ethernet card with an ISA card.  I now have a 3Com 3c509b card
working in the machine.  Thanks to Donald Becker for writing the
driver for this card as well as the tulip cards. Thanks also to the
folks who wrote me and let me know that PCI IRQ sharing really isn't a
good idea under Linux.

Erik Beck
ebeck@tahoma.com