Lockups with tulip 0.89H and kernel 2.1.10x

Nat Lanza magus@cs.cmu.edu
Sun Jul 5 15:54:08 1998

I've been having serious problems trying to get my new LinkSys
Etherfast 10/100 PnP card to play nicely with either kernel 2.1.105 or
2.1.108. I initially tried version 0.83 of the tulip driver, but
couldn't get the card's media autosense to work properly -- it kept
alternating between 100 and 10 mode, causing lots of collisions on my
10 hub.

I then switched to version 0.89H of the driver and ran into a
different and more serious problem -- if I compile the driver as a
module, boot the machine, load the driver module, and then ifconfig
the card up, things work fine. Autosense works fine, and there aren't
any odd errors. The problem comes later -- if I start X on the
machine, it immediately locks up and needs to be power-cycled. The
same thing happens if I start X and then later ifconfig up the card.

This is with both 2.1.105 and 2.1.108 on a PII system, with nothing
unusual other than IPmasq support configured into the kernel.

Any ideas?

--nat

--
nat lanza                       Parallel Data Lab, Carnegie Mellon University
magus@cs.cmu.edu                                 http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~magus