[realtek] RTL8139 and RTL8201

Donald Becker becker at scyld.com
Thu Sep 28 11:48:33 PDT 2006

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, James Mantell wrote:

> I was hoping someone could answer one of my burning questions... I have
> a ROCKS cluster with CentOS 4.3 and I recently upgraded all of the
> hardware on the nodes. The motherboard I chose was MSI K8NGM2-L with
> onboard ethernet. The ethernet chip says RTL8201CL. I would like to know
> if this chip uses the same driver as RTL8139 (8139too.c).

The rtl8201 is just a transceiver, not the NIC.  You'll need a driver that
supports the NIC, which is likely a nVidia chipset with a new PCI ID on
the Ethernet controller.

You'll need to find the PCI ID, then locate the proper driver and version.

In the Scyld cluster system we report this as part of the PXE boot
sequence, and are in the process of implementing a system that
automatically reports and updates the driver set.  Rocks isn't that
sophisticated so you'll need to do it by hand and reinstall the cluster
for each hardware change.

The reason for this hardware design is that the analog parts of a
transceiver are much different than the digital parts of the rest of the
system, so it's best to put them on a chip made using a different process.
Transceivers have a standardized interface, so the motherboard designers
picked the least expensive chip.