[realtek] IRQ Conflict

Rudy Zijlstra rudy at edsons.demon.nl
Thu Feb 17 23:32:08 PST 2005

Michael MacFadden wrote:

> All,
>
> I have a situation where I have two identical Realtek cards  in one
> system.  One of them is getting an IRQ conflict with another
> component.  I am looking for how to set the IRQ the conflicting card
> to something else.  I know what the I/O address of the card is and I
> know what I want the IRQ to be.  The driver is loaded as a module with
> the 2.6.10 Kernel.  I am assuming I need to use an option statement.
> Something like:
>
> option <driver> irq=11, io=0xd400
>
> What I need to know is A) is what I am trying to do possible with this
> driver (does it support setting irq's), B) if so what are the specific
> options I need.  C)  How do I tell the driver to set the IRQ for the
> card that is having the conflict and not the one that is already
> working, because I don't want both of them to be set to 11 since that
> won't work either.  Thanks.
>
> ~Mike

On the PCI bus the IRQ is determined by the HW. See your mobo manual,
where you will find (if documentation is done well) a table with which
PCI slot has which IRQ. Changing IRQ means changing PCI slot. No SW way
to do it. Alternatively, you can check what options are available in the
BIOS, but do not expect too much in that area.

Rudy