Partial success (Re: [realtek] on-board rtl8139 fails.)

Jarl Friis jarl@softace.dk
Sun Dec 8 06:14:01 2002

Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com> writes:

> On 7 Dec 2002, Jarl Friis wrote:
>
> > I installed windows on another partition, realised that it used IRQ
> > 10, actually it have not assigned IRQ to *anything* at all, I shut the
> > machine down.

Sorry a typo gave screwed up the message, I meant "actually [Windows XP] have
not assigned IRQ 9 to *anything* at all"

Which seems like it is aware of error-prone IRQ 9

> > changed some settings in BIOS
> > changed "Installed OS" from "Windows XP" to "DOS" whatever that means.
>
> It likely changes the format of the IRQ mapping table.

I may try upgrading the BIOS...

Do you have any URLs explaining issues like "format of the IRQ
mapping table"?

> > Now it uses IRQ 10 as Windows XP, and it works...
> > even with the default prebuilt binary kernel and modules...
> >
> > So Now I am curious:
> > Is it possible that "IRQ 9" is broken somehow???
>
> Yes, or the table format from the BIOS isn't correct.

Do you have any URLs describing this problem/issue and what to do
about it?

I really appreciate your help. Thanks

Jarl