[realtek] NFS problems, again

Bertram Bourdrez bourdrez@casema.net
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:43:09 +0100

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 12:21:10PM -0500, Donald Becker wrote:
> Please report the driver version you are using.
> The current public version is 1.13, not 1.11.

I have downloaded and compiled the latest version from your FTP site... 1.13
that is. I mentioned 1.11 only because it was fixed in that driver version.

> Also, which chip are you using?
>   RTL8129, RTL8139, RTL8139B or RTL8139C?

The 8139too driver that came with 2.2.18 reports it to be a 8139A.

> And are you using the board on a full duplex or half duplex network?

My hub does not seem to do autonegotiation so I'm having a hard time getting
my machines to do 100baseTx-FD... I will figure this out eventually, it is
slightly off topic here.

> I've been unable to reproduce any of the reported problem.  Most of them
> have been resolved as hardware or configuration bugs, not driver
> problems.

Sadly, so have I. I can't reproduce it any more... It might have been
because I rebooted and started using the old driver again (the stock 2.2.18
driver, don't know which version that is). Currently I'm playing MP3s over
NFS while doing a series of 'bonnies' to test it... it hasn't locked up
since I started it (at least ten bonnies, which is a hell of a lot of data).

> Keep in mind that *most* of the people I send replies to do not post
> again on the list or newsgroup.  In the cases I follow up, I usually
> find that the problem has been fixed.

I'm sorry to report that this might have been a oversight on my part... if I
can safely reproduce the NFS problem with your latest driver I will report
it again.

I did try the 8139too driver from 2.2.18 once... it gave me a kernel panic
after about 250M of datatransfer :)

--
Bertram Bourdrez