[realtek] Can't load RTL8139.o module Rhat 6.2

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:43:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Paul wrote:

> Anyway, here's what I've got. I have a Trendware
> ethernet card with the RTL8139B chip. When using either the "modprobe" or
> "insmod" commands, a message is returned, "Device or resource busy". I
> cat /proc/pci
>
> Bus 0, device 11 function 0:
>     Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 16)
>         Vendor id=1. Device id=8139.

Please verify that this vendor ID of "1" is reported verbatim.

If it is really '1' and not 0x10ec you should ask Trendware what bus this
card is for, because it's not a valid PCI device.

Trendware is *not* vendor ID #1.  The initial PCI vendors were assigned
vendor IDs starting at 0x1000, with only a few vendor IDs lower than this.

Perhaps you have a card with a flawed EEPROM.

> I tried to call Trendware before troubling anyone here, but they actually
> referred me to this website.

This sounds like their bug.

Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210		Beowulf-II Cluster Distribution
Annapolis MD 21403