RTL8139 driver hangs up

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_Luis_G=F3mez_Dans?= j.l.gomez-dans@sheffield.ac.uk
Mon Mar 6 12:32:45 2000

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 11:16:55PM +0900, sharkey@superk.physics.sunysb.edu wrote:
> Join the club.  Everyone (or at least an awful lot of people) have this
> problem with this card.

	Somebody mentioned this to me before. :)

> There's a new driver for these cards in the latest 2.3 kernels.  I
> still haven't tried it yet, but, it's suppossedly less buggy than the
> driver by Donald Becker (on which it was based).

	I've seen that, but I guess I'll wait till it stabilizes, as I
don't trust myself with an unstable kernel.

> Either give that a shot, or, buy a new NIC.

	I have made a script that pulls ifconfig down and reloads the
module, and that works. However, it would be instructive to know what
cards would you recommend for a PCI slot, just in case someone asks?

	BTW, there's another symptom that I forgot to mention. This is
the really annoying one: if I try to download a large file (say Mozilla
or TeTeX), chances are that
(i) the card goes dead (see previous paragraph)
(ii) the file is corrupted (CRC errors in binary files, characters wrong
in large ASCII files...)

	The first I can understand, but the second is very suspicious. I
note that I have v1.07, and 1.08 is out and has some bug fixes, but I
haven't seen this one mentioned before. Unfortunately, it seems to have
a random nature. I know the hub works well, and doesn't get any errors
of this kind, so I guess that this is in the hub-network-hard drive
path.

	Thank you,
	José

--