[realtek] Flash EEPROM problems

Bernd Dammann bernd@kemi.dtu.dk
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:49:42 +0200

Hi everybody,

I am experimenting at the moment with some diskless machines, and I
ran into problems with Flash EEPROMS.  By looking at the code in
libflash.c I found a list of supported Flash EEPROMS, and I got hold
of an Atmel AT29C256 (12PC).

If I put it in a D-Link DFE-538TX network card (Realtek 8139 chip),
libflash reports a vendor and device ID of 0 0, the same EEPROM in a
D-Link DFE-500TX network card (Tulip chip) reports FF FF as vendor and
device ID.

What am I doing wrong here?  Funny enough, the flash utility (running
under DOS) provided by Realtek also reports FF FF as vendor and device
ID, but for the Realtek card.

Are there other ways to write the boot ROM image into this Flash
EEPROMS?

Regards, Bernd

--
# Bernd Dammann   <bernd@kemi.dtu.dk>  | "Why stop now,
# Department of Chemistry              |      just when I am hating it?"