rtl8139 problems

Ben Shakal bshakal@jhs.net
Wed Sep 2 20:05:30 1998

I seem to be having the same problem as you two (and probably
others), and I came up with a band-aid until the problem is
resolved.  Note that I am using it on my personal machine, so
100% uptime is not mandatory.  I've got a little network monitor
applet in X that you can bind commands to the different mouse
clicks.  So I have it set up to shut down the interface when I right
click on the applet, and bring the interface back up when I left click
on it.  (Using commands similar to what Lenart Gabor is using.)
Also, so that I can (semi-)reliably telnet into the machine without
permanently locking myself out, I have the same thing done every
20 minutes by cron... And it doesn't seem to adversely affect
transfers, as long as they don't time out before the interface is
reset.  Anyway, I suppsoe everyone else with the same problem
has automated it by now, but I just thought I'd share my temporary
fix with anyone who cares... :)

Oh, and thank you James for the note about the Intel EEPro... I
was just about to permanently fix my problem by going out and
investing in a better card.... But I guess I won't be considering that
one, either... :)

'Course, when I am booted into M$ Windoze, the card works fine...
:(

--
Ben Shakal
neb@uclink4.berkeley.edu

"Linux: Because reboots are for upgrades."