[eepro100] Re: eepro100 works with pci io or pci mem addresses..?

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Mon Feb 24 06:47:00 2003

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Ashish anand wrote:

> I haven't got any clear guideline in case of intel 82557-9 cards whther
> one should use pci io or mem window or one can use both.

You can use either.
The driver defaults to using the memory window.  It's faster on most
modern machines, although the performance difference is only measurable
on SMP machines.

The diagnostic program uses I/O, since that is the only method that
works across kernel versions.

> I have following problem with eepro100 82559 card.
>
> 1.if i use pci io address ( BAR1) then my mac address
> read is AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA .
>
> 2.if i use pci mem (BAR0) then it read MAC address correctly and
>   self test passes.

That means you have something broken on your machine.

> but using ifconfig or ping results in repeated
> wait_for_cmd_done timeout.

That is likely indicating a bus master misconfiguration.

> Now as i hack after i read MAC address in my driver using PCI mem (BAR0)
> and after it reads MAC address i again assign ioaddr to BAR1 (PCI IO
> address) now i don't experience any wait_for_cmd_done timeout problem.

Hmmm, it really sounds like a motherboard chipset issue.