[eepro100] eepro and SMC switch issue

Derek Balling dredd@megacity.org
Tue Jan 29 15:09:00 2002

At 2:53 PM -0500 1/29/02, Donald Becker wrote:
>What driver version?

The "latest" that's in our debian build:

eepro100.c:v1.09j-t 9/29/99 Donald Becker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/driv
ers/eepro100.html
eepro100.c: $Revision: 1.36 $ 2000/11/17 Modified by Andrey V.
Savochkin <saw@sa
w.sw.com.sg> and others

which, admittedly, seems pretty damned old.

>Run
>   mii-diag --watch
>and monitor the output as you move the cable.

After I signed up for the list, I found the mii-diag/mii-tool tools,
and found the problem. Autonegotiation ... well, ... it wasn't. ;-)

Forcing it to 100baseTx-FD worked like a champ.

Although I found it "annoying" that I couldn't specify "100baseTx-FD"
as a "media" argument to ifconfig, although not so terribly much that
I would worry too much about it (it might even theoretically be
possible to do that if debian would include more recent versions of
the driver that I'm sure must exist).

| dredd@megacity.org  | "Thou art the ruins of the noblest man  |
|  Derek J. Balling   |  That ever lived in the tide of times.  |
|                     |  Woe to the hand that shed this costly  |
|                     |  blood" - Julius Caesar Act 3, Scene 1  |