[eepro100] Thin Client EEPRO100 issue.

greear@candelatech.com greear@candelatech.com
Wed Feb 20 12:14:51 2002

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Donald Becker wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Ben Greear wrote:
>
> > Supposedly, the eepro100 driver in the 2.4.17-rc2 kernel
> > works with 10bt in these cases.  I haven't had time to test it yet.
>
> I've seen many claims of "I changed this <unrelated line of code> and
> the problem went away."
>
> The Sleep-State errata cannot be fixed by the driver at run-time.  The
> only solution is to clear the EEPROM bit and power cycle the machine.
> That's the only way to get the chip will to disable the broken feature.

I may be confused about which fix went into 2.4.17-rc2.  According to
a guy at Sun, it should fix the lockup problem I reported (and he
reproduced) on an Intel EEA2 motherboard when connected to a 10bt hub.

> > The e100 also seems to work.
>
> The e100 driver clears the bit in the driver and then advises the user to
> reboot the machine.  I decided not to take that risky approach, and
> instead have the user explicitly run the eepro100-diag program to clear
> the bit.

Perhaps you could detect the problem and print a message in the
syslog to tell the user that they should probably run some certain command
and reboot to fix the problem?

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>       <Ben_Greear AT excite.com>