[eepro100] card reports no resources

John Ketchum johnk@qualcomm.com
Fri Aug 2 12:42:00 2002

Thanks-- that seems to do the trick  The problem persisted for 5 or 10
minutes after I changed the settings in /proc/sys/vm/bdflush, but has not
recurred since, so I am hopeful that this takes care of it.  I have no clue
why-- if anyone can provide an explanation, or, better yet, can point to a
good reference on kernel tuning,  I would be very grateful.

John

John Ketchum wrote:
 > After perusing this mail list, and seeing several threads reporting
 > similar problems, I tried the fix recommended by Donal Becker in one
 > thread:
 > echo "100 500 200">/proc/sys/vm/bdflush
 > then rebooted. I guess I don't understand the workings of the /proc
 > file system, because the changes that resulted in /proc/sys/vm/bdflush
Most linux systems have a file called /etc/sysctl.conf, and most linux systems
read the contents of that file and set the variables accordingly, this is what
I have in mine(2.2.19 kernel):
fs/file-max = 32768
fs/inode-max = 65536
vm/freepages = 1024 2048 3072
then I use the command sysctl -p to read the file. If you set the variables
directly with echo, there is no need to reboot, the change is immediate.
for you I think the entry would be:
vm/bdflush = 100 500 200
the system should automatically parse and load the sysctl.conf upon reboot. If
it does not, create a script or edit an existing one so that sysctl is run
upon
boot so it can load the settings
good luck.
nate