[eepro100] card reports no resources

John Ketchum johnk@qualcomm.com
Thu Aug 1 17:32:01 2002

Hi--
I am experiencing problems with intermittent network availability and
repeated reports in /var/log/messages:   "eth0:  card reports no
resources"  during times of network outage.  The computer is a Compaq
workstation with a 500 MHz Pentium III, running RH7.2 with 2.4.7-10 kernel
the driver is the stock driver that came with RH:
Jul 31 11:53:21  kernel: eepro100.c:v1.09j-t 9/29/99 Donald Becker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/eepro100.html
Jul 31 11:53:21  kernel: eepro100.c: $Revision: 1.36 $ 2000/11/17 Modified
by Andrey V. Savochkin <saw@saw.sw.com.sg> and others

and the hardware is :

sudo ./eepro100-diag -f -e
eepro100-diag.c:v2.06 12/10/2001 Donald Becker (becker@scyld.com)
  http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html
Index #1: Found a Intel i82557/8/9 EtherExpressPro100 adapter at 0x5400.
Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100 EEPROM contents:
   Station address 00:50:8B:9F:D3:21.
   Receiver lock-up bug exists. (The driver work-around *is* implemented.)
   Board assembly 695327-001, Physical connectors present: RJ45
   Primary interface chip i82555 PHY #1.

I had been running this machine for months without any problems.  Two days
ago I added an external SCSI DDR tape drive, and within a few hours after
restarting the machine, I started seeing the "card reports no resources"
messages in the system log, and experiencing intermittent network outages.

After perusing this mail list, and seeing several threads reporting similar
problems, I tried the fix recommended by Donal Becker in one thread:
echo "100 500 200">/proc/sys/vm/bdflush
then rebooted.  I guess I don't understand the workings of the /proc file
system, because the changes that resulted in /proc/sys/vm/bdflush didn't
persist after the reboot, and I shortly started getting the same
intermittent problems and more "..no resources" messages in the system
log.  I repeated the changes to /proc/sys/vm/bdflush, but the problem did
not go away, at least not immediately.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do next, so would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance

John Ketchum