[eepro100] eepro100 - transmit timeout: status e05000c00 at 0/60 command 0001a000

Donald Becker becker@scyld.com
Thu Apr 18 13:17:00 2002

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Joel Bogart wrote:

> We are installing Linux 7.1 on Intellistation 6850-53U.   We have ethernet
> eepro100 driver installed.
> The machines have a Myrinet card.
> When we boot the UP kernel everything works fine with no transmit
> timeouts/dmesg messages.
> When we boot the SMP kernel, AFTER REMOVING the Myrinet card,  that the
> transmit timeouts and dmesg errors go away.
>
> After downloading, compiling and installing the latest eepro100 driver at
> http://www.scyld.com/network/eepro100.html.
> We get these results;
> 1)  UP boot is fine with no errors.
> 2)  SMP boot with Myrinet card creates transmit timeouts/dmesg messages,
> no network connectivity, and we get the following message:
>      IRQ5 is physically blocked.   Failing back to low rate polling.
> 3)  SMP boot, after removing Myrinet card, is fine with no errors.

This is pretty easy: you have an interrupt mapping problem.  The PCI
interrupt mapping is different in SMP mode, since the APIC is configured
differently.

My guess is that the interrupt mapping tables provided by the BIOS are
funky in some way.

One easy work-around (not a solution) is to move the cards around in the
slots.