Network Difficulties

Innes Lange ilange@lange-nairne.demon.co.uk
Sat Mar 6 09:07:02 1999

Thank you for the response, I have finally gotten around to looking at
the Linux box again. After running the two commands you suggested I got
the following results.

Result for cat /proc/ioports
0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0070-007f : rtc
0080-009f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : npu
0170-0177 : ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
02f8-02ff : serial (auto)
0376-0376 : ide1
03c0-03df : vga+
03f0-03f5 : floppy
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f7-03f7 : floppy dir
03f8-03ff : serial (auto)
e000-e01f : Intel Speedo3 Ethernet
e800-e807 : IDE DMA
e808-e80f : IDE DMA

Results of cat /proc/interrupts
0:	242361	timer
1:	1415	keyboard
2:	0	cascade
4:	615   + serial
8:	1     + rtc
11:	1271	Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100 Ethernet
13:	1	math error
14:	19866 + ide0
15:	3788  + ide1

When I said I couldn't see anything, that was using the ping command
from any machine. The two MS machines can see each other fine. I am
aware that to make the linux machine accessible from MS Windows you need
to have the SMB demon loaded/configured. With that in mind I can now
"see" the samba server in the Windows network neighbourhood. Though I
can't open the connection and "browse". I have tried also opening a
SMBclient from the Linux machine to the Windows NT server.

There are obviously a lot of little things that I need to figure out as
I go along. But briefly do I need to have all the domains set up
"correctly", with DNS and all the other paraphernalia, or can a do the
sharing straight across a basic tcp/ip.

I am trying to run the SMBclient with the command;
"smbclient -L -I qditower.home.org.uk -U root"

The system then responds saying;
"Added interface ip=185.175.165.11 bcast=185.175.255.255
nmask=255.255.0.0
cli_open_sockets: Unknown host -I."

Obviously I removed the -I switch from the above command and got back
the response "error connecting to 185.175.165.10:139 (no route to host)"

My basic network set up is
Computer	OS		TCP/IP No
qditower	WinNT4		185.175.165.10
cmndec		Win95 preA	185.175.165.12
icl		Linux RH5.1	185.175.165.11
printserver	Epson		185.175.165.20

All the above have a NetMask of 255.255.0.0. The NT machine has MS
tcp/ip printing and Simple tcp/ip services enabled, and setup correctly
I presume. The Linux machine can obviously ping it's internal loopback
address, and it's "external" ip address. It is also successful if I try
"ping icl.home.org.uk" which I presume means it is looking at the
/etc/hosts file. I have had trouble with smbclient asking for a
/etc/lmhosts so I copied the /etc/hosts to /etc/lmhosts, that seemed to
keep it quiet about that file.

Again thank you for your assistance. If I have over stepped the mark
just a bit with all the requests put in this e-mail. I apologise. I look
forward to hearing from you soon