Linux kernel 2.0.35 and Intep EEPro 10+/100B/100+

Scott Boyd sboyd@astreet.com
Sat Sep 26 20:19:39 1998

Netatalk is Appletalk for Linux. If you don't have any Mac's leave it
turned off.

S.

On Sat, 26 Sep 1998, Nikica Petrinic wrote:

> Dear Scott,
>
> Thanks for replying.
>
> At the time I posted the question I was still very much in the dark on
> this issue. Not much more light now either.
>
> Before I recompiled the kernel I checked if I was using the right module
> in /etc/conf.modules. It did include eepro100. It didn't work though.
>
> The reason why I recompiled the 2.0.35 kernel was to make use of the
> second processor (SMP). This was the first time I ever tried
> recompiling the kernel and was very careful with 'make xconfig'. However,
> I wasn't successful with modules so I squeezed all I thought I needed
> into zImage.
>
> This is what I did:
> 1) installed RedHat v5.1 of sunsite
> 2) downloaded and installed 2.0.35 kernel upgrade including sources
>    (eepro100 would not work)
> 3) edited /usr/src/linux/Makefile to un-comment SMP=1
> 4) downloaded latest eepro100.c (cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov:/linux/drivers/eepro100.c)
> 5) run 'make xconfig' to include relevant drivers (SCSI and eepro)
>    (I can send you /usr/src/linux/.config if needed)
> 6) changed lilo.conf and run lilo
> 7) rebooted
>
> Everything worked but EEPro.
>
> I downloaded eepro-diag and mii-diag (following the suggestions from
> ftp://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/drivers/eepro100.html). These
> could see the card but I didn't know what to do with the information
> the diags provided.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I am not sure I know what this 'netatalk' is either. I don't get anything
> if I type 'ps | grep netatalk'. Does that mean I am not running it?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Nik

> Nikica Petrinic
> University Technology Centre for Solid Mechanics
> Department of Engineering Science
> University of Oxford
> Engineering & Technology Building
> Parks Road
> Oxford OX1 3PJ
> Tel +44 (0)1865 273813, 273811, 273812
> Fax +44 (0)1865 273906
> E-mail nikica.petrinic@eng.ox.ac.uk

Scott Boyd
A-Street Internet

Are you using our web accelerator? It's part of your A-Street service.
Just set the proxy options on your browser to point at:

	fast.astreet.com	PORT 3128

for HTTP, FTP and GOPHER protocols.