dual booting - Windows 98 and Linux - eepro 100 card gets in stuck mode - need to power off to reset card

Clif Schieck clif@cadmazing.com
Tue Oct 6 11:40:44 1998

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BDF105.11BEF660

I have my HP Pavilion PC setup to dual boot. If I put the floppy in and =
boot,
then it boots with Redhat 5.1 linux. Without the floppy it boots with =
windows
98. I have an Intel eepro 100 board installed. I think there is a reset =
problem
on the board with respect to Linux. If I I click on windows 98 with

start -> shutdown -> restart (then insert Linux floppy) - the board is =
not reset and
I receive error messages (I don't have the exact message) that the port =
is not
activated. It implies that the card needs to be reset.

if I do:

start -> shutdown -> shutdown -> manually hit the power switch to the =
computer
to turn off power -> insert Linux floppy - > turn power button on - > =
reboot -> okay

then the eepro 100 card is recognized.

if I type in Linux shutdown -r now, the card also comes up okay (if the =
system
was previously reset with power off above).

I think it might have something to do with the plug-n-play feature of =
the card
or a state that windows 98 sets the card to that makes it not =
recognizable
by Linux.

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BDF105.11BEF660

I have my HP Pavilion PC setup to = dual boot. If=20 I put the floppy in and boot,
then it boots with Redhat 5.1 linux. = Without the=20 floppy it boots with windows
98. I have an Intel eepro 100 board = installed. I=20 think there is a reset problem
on the board with respect to Linux. = If I I click=20 on windows 98 with

start -> shutdown -> restart = (then insert=20 Linux floppy) - the board is not reset and
I receive error messages (I don't = have the exact=20 message) that the port is not
activated. It implies that the card = needs to be=20 reset.

if I do:

start -> shutdown -> shutdown = ->=20 manually hit the power switch to the computer
to turn off power -> insert Linux = floppy -=20 > turn power button on - > reboot -> okay

then the eepro 100 card is=20 recognized.

if I type in Linux shutdown -r now, the card also = comes up=20 okay (if the system
was previously reset with power off = above).

I think it might have something to = do with the=20 plug-n-play feature of the card
or a state that windows 98 sets the = card to that=20 makes it not recognizable
by Linux.

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BDF105.11BEF660--