"Transmit timed out" with EtherExpress Pro100B

James Stevens James.Stevens@jrcs.co.uk
Tue Oct 6 07:10:18 1998

Osma Ahvenlampi wrote:

> On a Dell PowerEdge 2300, using Linux 2.0.35 with the aic7xxx
> 5.1.0-pre15 and eepro100 1.03 drivers I get the "eth0: Transmit timed
> out status 0050 command 0000" error

I have suffered with this BUG for ever, there is no fix and despite
repeated pleas, and even offers of cash, Donald seems to be unwilling to
investigate / fix it. I have had a look at it myself and tried tweaking
the "txfifo" & "rxfifo" values, but it didn't make any difference.
Unfortunately, I have no information about this chip at all, so can't
begin to try and fix it.

Sadly, for me, we can not use a different "card" cos the Intel chip is
soldered onto the motherboard and we only have one slot which we need
for something else.

It seems this problem is partly due to a bug with the Intel chip where
by it trashes the status register under heavy load. I have a program
called "open_socket" which breaks this driver within about 3 seconds.

My advise is, if you are having a problem, don't use this driver, don't
use this card.

On the other hand, we have another box here which also has the Intel on
board and the same test runs fine. We have only run the test with a
10Mbps hub, and will report the results on a 100Mbps hub as soon as it
becomes free.

James