[Beowulf] [EXTERNAL] Re: Data Destruction

Lux, Jim (US 7140) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 29 19:00:08 UTC 2021

There are special purpose drive shredders - they'll even come out to your facility with such a device mounted on a truck.
It's not as exciting as you might think. Throw stuff in, makes horrible noise, done.

For entertainment, the truck sized wood chipper used when clearing old orchards is much more fun. Another unit rips the tree out of the ground and drops it into the giant feed hopper on top. Entire lemon or avocado trees turned into mulch in a very short time.

This isn't the one I saw, but it's the same idea, except horizontal feed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCdmO6WvBYk

We had a lengthy discussion on Slack at work (JPL) about ways to destroy drives - melting them in some sort of forge seems to be the most fun, unless you have a convenient volcano with flowing lava handy.

On 9/29/21, 8:47 AM, "Beowulf on behalf of Ellis Wilson" <beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org on behalf of ellis at ellisv3.com> wrote:

    On 9/29/21 11:41 AM, Jörg Saßmannshausen wrote:
    > If you still need more, don't store the data at all but print it out on paper
    > and destroy it by means of incineration. :D

    I have heard stories from past colleagues of one large US Lab putting
    their HDDs through wood chippers with magnets on the chipped side to
    kill the bits good and dead.  As a storage fanatic that always struck me
    as something I'd have loved to see.

    Best,

    ellis