[Beowulf] [EXTERNAL] Re: Deskside clusters

Lux, Jim (US 7140) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Aug 24 18:39:15 UTC 2021

Well, the example use case is: More HP needed to get the cycle time down to “interactive”-ish than you can get from a single computer. (particularly a *quiet* computer)

I was giving a specific example from a couple years ago (2019 in the COVID before times – that’s how long ago it was)  That is, I had a fairly powerful desktop machine and I wound up farming it out to the cluster (JPL Halo, then TACC LoneStar5) – even though the cores on Halo were actually slower than my desktop machine – but far more numerous..