[Beowulf] Does anyone know if Apache Ambari has been abandoned?

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Tue Sep 29 10:29:08 PDT 2020

The short answer is probably.

The long answer is as follows. Hortonworks (company spun out
of Yahoo for Hadoop development and support) provided
a Hadoop "distro" called HDP (kind of like Red Hat).

They put a lot of effort (paid programmers) into the HDP
(and variants) and Ambari as way to install and manage HDP.

So the bill comes due on Hadoop and both Hortonworks and
the other "big"  Hadoop company, Cloudera combine and
re-design the whole lot for on-prem/cloud seamless (fill in
marketing buzzwords here). Seems the Hadoop peak on the
Gartner Hype curve was a bit too high. The Hadoop
ecosystem is still viable and good tech, just got
over sold to the VC's (Intel invested $742 million
in Cloudera!)

In any case, they discontinued and basically "closed sourced" HDP
after version 3.1.4 and Ambari 2.7.4. You can ask for a pass code
to download new versions but I'm not sure what it will cost
(maybe just a call from a salesperson)

So yes, "He's dead Jim" unless some community members
jump in. And Ambari pretty much only worked turn-key
with HDP versions.

Hadoop (and friends) sources are still available from the Apache
site. I use them quite a bit for rolling my own
Hadoop/Spark/Hive/Kafka ... VMs. I use the last open
version of HDP and Ambari on our Limulus personal
clusters, but at some point may move to a more
Apache based home grown install.

IMO, Ambari is nice, very slick and a bit over complicated
which is basically a true statement for the whole
Hadoop Big Data ecosystem.

--
Doug

> Hi guys,
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience.
>
> I'm looking into using Ambari on a new cluster, but as far as I can
> tell, there's no releases after 2.7.5 which came in December '19.
>
> However, the documentation at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Releasing+Ambari
> states that 2.7.x is deprecated and gives instructions on how to build
> 2.8.x.
>
> But I can't find 2.8.x anywhere..
>
> Any ideas/suggestions? I'm puzzled.
>
> TIA
>
> /tony
>

> --
> Tony Albers - Systems Architect - IT Development Royal Danish Library,
> Victor Albecks Vej 1, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
> Tel: +45 2566 2383 - CVR/SE: 2898 8842 - EAN: 5798000792142

Doug